Friday, October 27, 2006

A Block Party's Plan of Action

Katrina had a huge impact on me putting this BLOCK PARTY together.

Unfortunately, most people think that if an emergency strikes, the city/government officials will run in and rescue them. Well in the "real world," most police, fire, Red Cross and other emergency organizations are either, under staffed, OR, are volunteers...and remember, they could potentially be trapped and not have the ability to get to you or your loved ones right away.
So, I did a little research and found that the area in which I live, HAD NO MASTER PLAN OF ACTION…scary!!! We don’t have a fall-out-shelter, or a common area that people can go to in case of an emergency. In light of Katrina, global warming and our political climate, we all need to be prepared to survive on our own if necessary. So I took it upon myself and put together a “How to Create Your Own Survival Kit” brochure which outlines some of the essential items needed to survive for several days. However, making it more personal will allow you to be more comfortable, if you should need to leave your home or business quickly. Other things of importance are an extra set of clothing, socks, shoes and don’t forget to pack in advance your medication.
Now, on a more fun note, I LOVE GIVING PARTIES! And the bigger the better. So putting together this event has been euphoric…even though everything isn’t going as planned. ;)
Not to mention, I'm in recovery from what we call “Realtor Exhaustion”, which is why you haven’t heard from me in about week.

However, from handing out the flyer invitations (locally), e-mailing them to my data-base, to ordering tables and chairs for the information booths (with black table clothes I might add) ...Unfortunately, I waited too late, so I couldn’t get the color balloons that I wanted; or the kids dolphin bouncer (but the castle will do fine) And thank God for Costco…hundreds of buns, hot dogs, hamburgers and chicken legs…we even have a taco chef coming! It's going to be an AWESOME day and the weather has been perfect! By the way, I will blog live during the event, so that you can all be a part of it…

This event has gotten press coverage and our local politicians have made it a point to let me know that they will be stopping by to shmooze the crowd. Our local Congress woman has a what I call ‘tour de Venice’ via bicycle, with 40 of her friends/supporters. Their route goes right past the location of the event and they will be stopping in. The local businesses and Venice locals have pitched in their time, food and spirit as well.

I know that each person that attends the party will leave with some valuable knowledge that could save his/her life. I truly believe that knowledge is power and in this case, it is perfect timing.

Lastly, in LA, everyone is so involved in the hustle and bustle, NOW'S the time to learn, relax and enjoy...

Bye for now!

No comments:

 
All Rights Reserved ©2007 Copyright Michele Blackmon