Thursday, October 12, 2006

"Creating A House With Soul"

I just sold a larger property near the beach and wanted to check out my favorite "shopping hole" before introducing this hidden treasure to my client. And of course, it is one of my favorite ways to spend an afternoon, because I always find some good stuff for me that I just can't live without.

As a kid, I always loved to visit swap meets and museums...history and how we dressed the utensils we used always intrigued me. So I put on my Nikes with Starbucks in hand and set out to Berbere World Imports owned and operated by Suad Cano a woman, oh...about 4 ft tall with a huge vision and passion for travel.


Berbere is a hidden oasis near the industrial part of Los Angeles. However, she also owns a showroom at the LA Mart. Anyway, behind massive, ancient, hand-carved doors there is a lot of fun to be had. The walls, ceilings and aisles are filled with one of a kind artifacts, pots, antique doorways and arches, pillars of all sizes and from all regions, mirrors, frames, old wood, tribal spears, chapel benches, old hardware, rugs, rich exotic fabrics and some things that even Suad can't identify...ALL are very cool pieces.

Just as always, I wasn't disappointed. With Zen music playing in the background (putting me in the mood) and the excitement of the workers ferrying packages and amazing items ready to be sent all over the world (or just down the street)...all of this put me in the mood to shop. Earlier in the year I purchased an oversized gong to clear the air in my office. During this visit I found just the right stand for display...two wheat thrashers from Spain, made of old water weathered wood, with imbedded rocks to trash the wheat. It's going to be just perfect! So Suad sent one of her workers to find just the right piece of old wood to mount between so that the gong would swing in the middle. I also found an amazing piece of wood, which was rescued out of the water ways of the Orient...we didn't want to call it termite ridden, which is what it looked like. It is currently being framed in a plexi box with linen backing. Also, hidden behind pillars and old doors, I discovered a bronze Buddha sitting on a lotus...which is a significant piece. I'm trying to find just the right spot for this precious jewel.

What I appreciate MOST about Suad's world is that she helps you to create a total Zen atmosphere. Or, by placing a few items here and there will give even a contemporary home...a Bit of Soul.

If you would like to share my experience visit her website: www.berbereimports.com

No comments:

 
All Rights Reserved ©2007 Copyright Michele Blackmon